Monday, July 7, 2008

Tough lessons

Tonight Ty is learning a hard life lesson. Their baseball team lost their playoff game sending them to the constellation bracket. Ty was very disappointed. It was very hard for me to see him that disappointed knowing that I wanted to fix it but couldn't and even if I could, he needed to learn to how to lose.

To Ty:

I am so sorry that you lost tonight. It is very hard for me to see you disappointed. Know that I am very proud of you. That you played great both hitting and out in the field. And even if you had a bad game or if you would have struck out, I would still be so proud of you and love you.

Part of any activity is having a winner and a loser. Winning is great and makes us feel good, but we also need to know how to lose. Losing gives us the empathy that we need for others. It gives us humility to know that we are human and can't always win. There will always be a winner and a loser and it is crucial in growing up that we have compassion and sensitivity not only when we win, but when we lose as well.

Sometimes there are bad calls. Umpires are human too and make mistakes. It happens. Sometimes these calls can determine whether we win or lose the game. Fair, no it is not, but again...we all make mistakes. They have a hard job too.

In the end, I just want you to have fun and give your best always. Know that Gregg, I and everyone else supports and loves you and that you will NEVER disappoint us. That it does not matter what your friends think because at some point in their life, they too, will lose at something.

So I am sorry for the loss, but know that I am very proud of you!! I love you....mom

No comments: